Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mud, Road Maintenance, and Run-off

I live on a dirt road which becomes mucky pools of soft quivering mud in some sections, mud that that suck cars into the pools depths. Thursday evening as I was coming home from work, I stopped and took pictures of Smith Brook's muddy raging water. I also noted the new run-off of water crossing the road and tearing out another pathway which will lead to a rut until the road crew can repair the damage. I wonder if there are ways to allow water its "natural" runoff while keeping it from tearing apart our dirt roads. Any suggestions? Paving isn't really the answer. How can we get ditches in that don't dump pollutants into the waterways?

gjc

1 comment:

Southeastern Vermont Watershed Association said...

Good questions! Ones I ask myself too (almost daily this season) - and we live on a private road so we're paying the tab to continuously rebuild our road and driveways (which are washing into a brook, then the Rock River, then the West River, then...heck, I think we've built a driveway in Long Island Sound by now). You mentioned paving. When I lived in Idaho, I was very surprised when we stumbled across some quite remote roads that were paved. They ran along side some beautiful rivers, and we learned that they paved them to help reduce sediment build up and improve salmon habitat. So perhaps that's one plus to paving and there are certainly others, and undoubtedly many minuses too.
cs